Friday 24 January 2014

HEALING - a bible study using Strong's (Part 1: Old Testament)

I have a prompting to read and study more on the topic of Healing. Earlier, I had used the Baker's Evangelical Dictionary to aid the study of Healing. Now, I am using the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance to study about Healing using the keyword of "Heal."

HEAL.
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

Ref 1)  http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?q=heal&t=kjv&s=Bibles

So the anger of the Lord was aroused against them, and He departed. 10 And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow. Then Aaron turned toward Miriam, and there she was, a leper11 So Aaron said to Moses, “Oh, my lord! Please do not lay this sin on us, in which we have done foolishly and in which we have sinned. 12 Please do not let her be as one dead, whose flesh is half consumed when he comes out of his mother’s womb!”
13 So Moses cried out to the Lord, saying, “Please heal her, O God, I pray!”
14 Then the Lord said to Moses, “If her father had but spit in her face, would she not be shamed seven days? Let her be shut out of the camp seven days, and afterward she may be received again.” 15 So Miriam was shut out of the camp seven days, and the people did not journey till Miriam was brought in again. (Numbers 12:9-15) (NKJV)

In Number chapter 12, Aaron and Miriam talked bad about Moses. They were jealous of Moses. God became angry, and punished Miriam. Miriam became leprous. We must note that sometimes illness could occur as punishment for sin. Although both Aaron and Miriam both sinned, only Miriam was punished. Aaron promptly repented, asking for forgiveness and healing. Moses prayed to God for healing of Miriam's leprosy. God consented but the leprosy took seven days to be cured completely. For sickness/illness, healing could take place gradually over a short period of time.

39 ‘Now see that I, even I, am He,
And there is no God besides Me;
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;

Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand. (Deuteronomy 32:39) (NKJV)

God Almighty has the power of healing. God could permit someone to die, someone to survive. God could allow someone to be wounded or be sick/ill, someone to be healed/cured. God has control over every situation and everyone.

In those days Hezekiah was sick and near death. And Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz, went to him and said to him, “Thus says the Lord: ‘Set your house in order, for you shall die, and not live.’”
Then he turned his face toward the wall, and prayed to the Lord, saying,“Remember now, O Lord, I pray, how I have walked before You in truth and with a loyal heart, and have done what was good in Your sight.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
And it happened, before Isaiah had gone out into the middle court, that the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “Return and tell Hezekiah the leader of My people, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will heal you. On the third day you shall go up to the house of the LordAnd I will add to your days fifteen years. I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for My own sake, and for the sake of My servant David.”’”
Then Isaiah said, “Take a lump of figs.” So they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered. (2 Kings 20:1-7) (NKJV)

King Hezekiah had fallen sick and was nearing death. After knowing God's decision that he was to die, Hezekiah wept bitterly and prayed to God. God later changed His mind, and through Isaiah, told him that he would recover, and have another fifteen years. After treating the boil with figs, Hezekiah eventually recovered.

Even if a person is supposed to die (e.g. as informed by the physician), the patient should still pray and plea to God. Maybe God might change his mind. Maybe the patient would recover and be healed despite the low probability.

12 Then the Lord appeared to Solomon by night, and said to him: “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice.13 When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, 14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 15 Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place. 16 For now I have chosen and sanctified this house, that My name may be there forever; and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually. 17 As for you, if you walk before Me as your father David walked, and do according to all that I have commanded you, and if you keep My statutes and My judgments, 18 then I will establish the throne of your kingdom, as I covenanted with David your father, saying, ‘You shall not fail to have a man as ruler in Israel.’  (2 Chrnonicles 7:12-18) (NKJV)


God's punishment included no rain, locusts/pests destroying the crops, and pestilence. When the punishment is on, if the believers are willing to truly repent with humility, and pray to God earnestly, God will forgive the sins and heal the land/nation.

We should take note that God could punish not only individuals but an entire nation. Normally it was because of the sins of the majority of the people, when we study the Old Testament. Our God is both merciful and wrathful. Persistent disobedience and turning to other gods will increase the wrath of God, and may cause punishment to be unleashed. If the people repent and turn back to God, God is merciful so as to stop or reverse the punishment.

Lord, do not rebuke me in Your anger,
Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak;

Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled. (Psalms 6:1-2) (NKJV)

In Psalms chapter 6, King David prayed to God in times of distress. When we are troubled by sickness/illness, financial crisis, natural disaster, accident, we should remember God, and pray to our Almighty God for His hand to heal us, to help us, to save us, to protect us. Despite the fact that a person may have sinned and turned to the right or left, he should just repent, turn to God, and pray for healing and deliverance.
Blessed is he who considers the poor;
The Lord will deliver him in time of trouble.
The Lord will preserve him and keep him alive,
And he will be blessed on the earth;
You will not deliver him to the will of his enemies.
The Lord will strengthen him on his bed of illness;
You will sustain him on his sickbed.
I said, Lord, be merciful to me;
Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You.”  (Psalms 41:1-4) (NKJV)

The Lord sustains them on their sickbed
    and restores them from their bed of illness.
I said, “Have mercy on me, Lord;
    heal me, for I have sinned against you.”
My enemies say of me in malice,
    “When will he die and his name perish?”  (Psalms 41:3-5) (NIV)

Psalms chapter 41 sees King David praying to God for healing and deliverance. When someone is sick and difficult to recover, let him repent from his sins and pray earnestly to God for healing. When someone is in danger from his enemies, let him repent from his sins and pray earnestly to God for deliverance. David had done it many times when we read the book of Psalms. God listens to those who humbly pray and plea.
O God, You have cast us off;
You have broken us down;
You have been displeased;
Oh, restore us again!
You have made the earth tremble;
You have broken it;
Heal its breaches, for it is shaking.
You have shown Your people hard things;
You have made us drink the wine of confusion.
You have given a banner to those who fear You,
That it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah
That Your beloved may be delivered,
Save with Your right hand, and hear me. (Psalms 60:1-5) (NKJV)

In Psalms chapter 60, King David prayed an urgent prayer for restoration of God's favour. We could follow the examples of David (as in book of Psalms) when praying earnestly in times of ill health, in distress, in trouble, in danger, in crisis.
To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born,
    And a time to die;
A time to plant,
    And a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill,
    And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
    And a time to build up;
A time to weep,
    And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
    And a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones,
    And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
    And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain,
    And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
    And a time to throw away;
A time to tear,
    And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
    And a time to speak;
A time to love,
    And a time to hate;
A time of war,
    And a time of peace.  (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8) (NKJV)

King Solomon talked about the fact there is a season for everything. It is not all the time Good, or all the time Bad. There will be a mixture of both. There is a cycle for both. This is the fact of life.

Similarly, there will be time of good health, and time of ill health. To be realistic, we will sometimes get sick. No matter how good we are, how healthy we are, how health-conscious we are, how righteous we are, will will someday fall sick (e.g. flu, fever, sore throat, headache, stomach ache, diarrhoea). Sickness is not always because of sin. Very often, sickness is due to inflection by bacteria, virus or pathogen. Sickness is also due to bodily weakness (e.g. diabetes, hypertension).

19 In that day there will be an altar to the Lord in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar to the Lord at its border. 20 And it will be for a sign and for a witness to the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they will cry to the Lord because of the oppressors, and He will send them a Savior and a Mighty One, and He will deliver them. 21 Then the Lord will be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians will know the Lord in that day, and will make sacrifice and offering; yes, they will make a vow to the Lord and perform it. 22 And the Lord will strike Egypt, He will strike and heal it; they will return to the Lord, and He will be entreated by them and heal them. (Isaiah 19:19-22) (NKJV)


In the passage of Isaiah chapter 19 verses 18-25, God will bless Egypt, Assyria and Israel. God will heal the land of Egypt. When God bless a nation, He will heal the land/nation. Healing is part of the Blessings package.

If we desire Healing, we should also desire Blessings. If we desire Blessings, we must obey God, and walk in the path of righteousness. God will bless the righteous and wise people, and punish the wicked and foolish people.

Friday, Jan 24, 2014.
Michael Yeap.

Ref 2) http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?q=heal&t=kjv&s=Bibles&p=2

15 For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
“I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
16 For I will not contend forever,
Nor will I always be angry;
For the spirit would fail before Me,
And the souls which I have made.
17 For the iniquity of his covetousness
I was angry and struck him;
I hid and was angry,
And he went on backsliding in the way of his heart.
18 I have seen his ways, and will heal him;
I will also lead him,
And restore comforts to him
And to his mourners.
19 “I create the fruit of the lips:
Peace, peace to him who is far off and to him who is near,”
Says the Lord,
“And I will heal him.”  (Isaiah 57:15-19) (NKJV)

Passage of Isaiah chapter 57 verses 14-21 is about God's healing for the backsliders. God will not punish/chastise the backsliders forever. There is a difference between backsliders and the wicked. God will heal the backsliders when they humble themselves.



19 “But I said:
‘How can I put you among the children
And give you a pleasant land,
A beautiful heritage of the hosts of nations?’
“And I said:
‘You shall call Me, “My Father,”
And not turn away from Me.’
20 Surely, as a wife treacherously departs from her husband,
So have you dealt treacherously with Me,
O house of Israel,” says the Lord.
21 A voice was heard on the desolate heights,
Weeping and supplications of the children of Israel.
For they have perverted their way;
They have forgotten the Lord their God.
22 “Return, you backsliding children,
And I will heal your backslidings.”
“Indeed we do come to You,For You are the Lord our God. (Jeremiah 3:19-22) (NKJV)


19 “I myself said,
“‘How gladly would I treat you like my children
    and give you a pleasant land,
    the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.’
I thought you would call me ‘Father’
    and not turn away from following me.
20 But like a woman unfaithful to her husband,
    so you, Israel, have been unfaithful to me,”
declares the Lord.
21 A cry is heard on the barren heights,
    the weeping and pleading of the people of Israel,
because they have perverted their ways
    and have forgotten the Lord their God.
22 “Return, faithless people;
    I will cure you of backsliding.”
“Yes, we will come to you,
    for you are the Lord our God. (Jeremiah 3:19-22) (NIV)

Passage of Jeremiah chapter 3 verses 6-25 is about the Call of Repentance to Faithless Israel who has backslided. God will heal the backsliders if the backsliders are to repent and turn to God again.

14 Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed;
Save me, and I shall be saved,

For You are my praise. (Jeremiah 17:14) (NKJV)

Jeremiah prayed to the Lord for deliverance from his enemies. God Almighty has the power of healing and power of salvation/deliverance. When we are in ill health, have faith in God, pray for healing. When we are in danger, have faith in God, pray for deliverance from the enemies/danger.

16 ‘Therefore all those who devour you shall be devoured;
And all your adversaries, every one of them, shall go into captivity;
Those who plunder you shall become plunder,
And all who prey upon you I will make a prey.
17 For I will restore health to you
And heal you of your wounds,’ says the Lord,
‘Because they called you an outcast saying:
“This is Zion;
No one seeks her.”’  (Jeremiah 30:16-17) (NKJV)


Jeremiah chapter 30 is about the prophesy that God will restore Israel and Judah. Restoration includes healing and health recovery. Healing could include healing of the land, and healing of sickness/illness.

13 How shall I console you?
To what shall I liken you,
O daughter of Jerusalem?
What shall I compare with you, that I may comfort you,
O virgin daughter of Zion?
For your ruin is spread wide as the sea;

Who can heal you? (Lamentations 2:13) (NKJV)

13 What can I say for you?
    With what can I compare you,
    Daughter Jerusalem?
To what can I liken you,
    that I may comfort you,
    Virgin Daughter Zion?
Your wound is as deep as the sea.
    

   Who can heal you? (Lamentations 2:13) (NIV)

Punishment and destruction on Jerusalam was so severe that it cannot be healed/rebuilt.

13 “When Ephraim saw his sickness,
And Judah saw his wound,
Then Ephraim went to Assyria
And sent to King Jareb;
Yet he cannot cure you,
Nor heal you of your wound.

14 For I will be like a lion to Ephraim,
And like a young lion to the house of Judah.
I, even I, will tear them and go away;
I will take them away, and no one shall rescue.
15 I will return again to My place
Till they acknowledge their offense.
Then they will seek My face;
In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me.”  (Hosea 5:13-15) (NKJV)


Hosea chapter 5 is about the Impending Judgment of Israel and Judah. God's punishment on Ephraim/Israel and Judah was to be so severe, that no one (worldly kings) could help them. Only God could save them and heal them. The condition was for Ephraim/Israel and Judah to acknowledge their wrongs/offense/sins, repent, and earnestly seek God.

Our God is a merciful and forgiving God. For lost sheep or prodigal son, God is willing to accept and forgive those who repent and turn to God earnestly.

Come, and let us return to the Lord;
For He has torn, but He will heal us;
He has stricken, but He will bind us up.
After two days He will revive us;
On the third day He will raise us up,
That we may live in His sight.
Let us know,
Let us pursue the knowledge of the Lord.
His going forth is established as the morning;
He will come to us like the rain,
Like the latter and former rain to the earth. (Hosea 6:1-3) (NKJV)


Passage of Hosea chapter 6 verses 1-3 is about the Call to Repentance. God is merciful and forgiving. If the backslider repents and go back to God, God will heal and restore the backslider.

O Israel, return to the Lord your God,
For you have stumbled because of your iniquity;
Take words with you,
And return to the Lord.
Say to Him,
“Take away all iniquity;
Receive us graciously,
For we will offer the sacrifices[a] of our lips.
Assyria shall not save us,
We will not ride on horses,
Nor will we say anymore to the work of our hands, ‘You are our gods.’
For in You the fatherless finds mercy.”
“I will heal their backsliding,
I will love them freely,
For My anger has turned away from him.
I will be like the dew to Israel;
He shall grow like the lily,
And lengthen his roots like Lebanon.
His branches shall spread;
His beauty shall be like an olive tree,
And his fragrance like Lebanon.
Those who dwell under his shadow shall return;
They shall be revived like grain,
And grow like a vine.
Their scent[b] shall be like the wine of Lebanon. (Hosea 14"1-7) (NKJV)

Hosea chapter 14 is about Israel Restored at Last. Eventually, Israel had acknowledged their sins/iniquities, acknowledged that worldly king (Assyria) could not save them, and they would stop worshipping idols. Israel expressed their desire to repent and return to God, and had faith in God's mercy and forgiveness, and believed that God will bless them again.



15 And the Lord said to me, “Next, take for yourself the implements of a foolish shepherd. 16 For indeed I will raise up a shepherd in the land who will not care for those who are cut off, nor seek the young, nor heal those that are broken, nor feed those that still stand. But he will eat the flesh of the fat and tear their hooves in pieces.
17 “Woe to the worthless shepherd,
Who leaves the flock!
A sword shall be against his arm
And against his right eye;
His arm shall completely wither,
And his right eye shall be totally blinded.”  (Zechariah 11:15-17) (NKJV)

Passage of Zechariah chapter 11 verses 15-17 is the prophesy of the bad/wicked shepherd. The shepherd represents a king or a ruler. The passage elaborates the degree of wickedness of this bad shepherd/king/ruler, and the punishment on him.

Friday, Jan 24, 2014.
Michael Yeap.

To be continued...

Ref 3) http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?q=heal&t=kjv&s=Bibles&p=3
Ref 4) http://www.biblestudytools.com/search/?q=heal&t=kjv&s=Bibles&p=4

No comments:

Post a Comment